Here are the top 5 things to remember when transferring patients, from the Creighton RNs!
- Inform the patient’s nurse that they are transferring. This way they can be prepared to answer questions and get the process started.
- Inform the patient they are transferring and why.
- Make sure the orders are appropriate for the receiving floor. For example: frequency of vitals/ accuchecks/ nursing cares and certain medications. If any questions feel free to call the floor and ask.
- Go through all of the orders and medication to make sure they are still pertinent to the care of the patient.
- Follow up to ensure the patient was transferred. If they are not transferred, ask what the plan is and if there is anything that can be done to expedite the process. Feel free to call the receiving floor as well.